Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Road Not Taken


Weather: Sunny

Level of Happiness: 70%


Time passes very fast and I will get my diploma soon (if everything goes smoothly). It should be the time of great cheer. On the other hand, it is like a diverged road that needs me to make decision. What? Decision again? I know I am very indecisive most of the time and this time it will be a very critical decision. Where should I further my education? Institute of Higher Education U or K?


Two years ago, I was struggling for the same choices, exactly the same! Finally, I made my decision to pursue my diploma in K. Two years later, I face this problem again. It is hard for me to make a good decision. I struggle for quite a long time and it makes me nearly want to cry!
Both U & K looks equally good. The only difference is the fees. For U, it is totally free (if everything goes smoothly) until I graduate. For K, it is free for 2 years (if everything goes smoothly) but later I have to pay RM30k to go overseas. Now if you were me, what will you choose? If you are optimistic, maybe you will think, “It already costs me nearly RM10k for 7D6N trip to England, why don’t I pay more to stay there for 3 months?” If you are pessimistic, you will think on the other way, ie “Since I can study for free in local, why should I pay extra RM30k to get the (almost) same degree?”


I try to search for answer long time ago and I had consulted many friends and the lecturers as well, but most of them had given me same answer, ie “It depends on you”, “ Nothing different”, “Equally good”. OMG…

Maybe I should analyze case-by-case:

U: It is more comfortable to study in U, since nearly all of the students over there are Chinese and we share a common background. (0-1, U leads)

K: It is located in the city; you can find a lot of entertainment over there. (1-1, draw)

U: What? Entertainment? You thought the entertainment is free? (2-1, U leads)

U: The living cost is relatively low compared to K! (3-1, U leads)

K: The lecturer in K is more experienced and K is already there for many years, U is still new, everything new; hence, the future is still unknown. (3-2, U leads)

U: Ya, U is new. So, the building is new, the facility is new. The environment is good. (4-2, U leads)

K: Please don’t just talking about the environment. Except these, how about the sport facilities? Swimming pool? Gym? Football field? Badminton court? In K, definitely YES. (4-3, U leads)

K: You will have a chance to go overseas and not everyone will have a chance to do so. (4-4, draw)

U: It is free for you to study in U. In contrast, you have to pay RM30k to get a degree in K. (5-4, U leads)

K: In U, you have to stay one more year to study. (5-5, draw)


Piiiiiiiiiii~~…. Times up! The conclusion is…..NO Conclusion!

Now only I understand the poem that we studied 3 years ago. The situation that I face right now is exactly the same as described in the poem,


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
……
……

~ The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost ~


God!!!!! What should I do? Can anyone tell me please?

1 comment:

  1. Buddy, easy ya, think like that. If your family financial can support you to go oversea just go for it. It is for your own good. Well at least that was my counsellor told me when i consult her a month ago. then i only decided to continue my study in KTAR. She said RM30K is worth as u will learnt a lots of new things and thinking there and when back you will become more mature. Trust me. And by the way we got frens in Ktar right? Come joined us!! ^_^V

    ReplyDelete