Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Right or Left?



Weather: Sunny
Level of Happiness: 68%


Life is like gambling? Do you agree? It is full of uncertainties and a lot of assumptions need to be done. For every single action to be done, you have to predict whether you are making a correct decision. Finally, the achievers rejoice, the non-achievers grieve. This is the simple rule that applies to all the people who are willing to take the challenge. If you dare to dream, you must dare to accept the implications, no matter what it will be. However, not everyone is ready to face the results. For the wrong decision that you have made, it may sometimes cause you a little amount of money, getting hurt in your feeling, and worst of all, you may lost everything you have.

For me, I fully agree with statement that life is like gambling. Take a look at the picture above. At the situation shown above, if you are the person who is having the 3 Ks is your hand, will you take the challenge to proceed, although the opponent seems like having the higher chance of winning?

If I ask my math lecturer, he will probably tell me, “Erm…erm…Use the formulas of Probability to calculate….. bla…bla…bla…. Oh…finally the percentage is equals to only x %. Since you are having a lower percentage to win, you are advised to retreat better than lost everything later.” If I ask my engineering lecturer, he will definitely tell me, “I’m not a fortune teller, I can’t predict the result, but since I’m from the engineering background, I will use statistic to prove to you…….alehluya….alehluya….. Oh…no no…you should not continue because bla…bla….bla….” Then, if I ask you, what will you tell me?

I’m will consider myself as an indecisive individual, i.e. I can’t make a decision confidently because I worry that I will regret later. Even the calculation shows me that the probability of winning is 95%, I will still hesitating because the results cannot be 100% predicted. It may be very scary and sometimes the 5% of losing chance already enough to let you lost everything that you are having right now. For that situation, I will keep delay and delay, to check and double-check, to confirm and re-confirm, and finally lost everything. Why? It is not caused by the wrong-decision that I have made, but because of ‘times up’!! I was taking a long time to think and finally caused the judge to announce that I had lost the game because the time-limit is over.

If you were me, will you proceed? To fight until the last minute? Or to retreat? To prevent the further loss?

No comments:

Post a Comment